Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tag! You’ve hit my sweet Butt!

I know I haven’t been around in while and I am sorry for that, however if you read my blog you will know that I am now working and have little time to post. I am back and yes, this particular post refers to early October. As far as my next post, I do have something in the works this weekend (Nov.13-14) …It may take me a few weeks to post, but I know you will all love it and so I appreciate your patience.

(October 2010)…I’ve been a bit distracted the last few weeks, as I caught a nasty cold and my body didn’t want to attempt anything. What exasperates me is that for the almost 2 years I was out of work, I never got sick. Yeah, there were times I was out of the weather, but never with the common cold or flu.

A month and a half into my new job, I have to call in sick, because I got the bug! What bug, it’s hard to say, but it consisted of Sinus Headaches, congestion, fatigue, nausea, Smoker’s cough (Yeah I’m a smoker – I think most cooks/chefs are smokers, have you ever seen Hell’s Kitchen?-They all smoke!) and complete weakness to the touch!

No matter, I think I am finally over the 2 week mess of feeling like crap and finally had the energy to be productive during my weekend time.

This blog is about how good I am about cheap eats and keeping it real. It’s about how I am innerly (yeah, it’s a real word (adv)!-not sure why spell check has deemed it bad) proud I am that I can cook. I made some really great eats today and am excited to tell you all about it.
I was thinking bolognaise sauce when I came up with this simple concoction, because there were many ingredients I didn’t have to make the classic sauce. I was also feeling good enough to make my own pasta today, so not only am I going to bring you a great sauce, but will give you a repeat of the pasta recipe.

So, I have a pasta machine, hand cranked of course, but if you as the reader does not have one, you can skip the pasta recipe and go straight to your supermarket and buy some fresh tagliatelle for this ultimate dish. If you can’t find Tagliatelle, Fettucini or Papardelle will work just as well with this recipe.

I am thinking honestly, that I may like this dish better than the plain ole meatballs and spaghetti dish! The fact that its fresh pasta and sausage sauce really gets the left (or is it right?) of my brain on overload of senses and taste.

Sweet Sausage Tomato Sauce with Homemade Tagliatelle:
Special Equipment: Food Mill, Pasta Machine
For the Sauce: Which is the best part of this pasta dish:
  • Garlic-Finely Chopped (NOT MINCED) About 8 Medium or 6 Large Cloves (me, I used a whole clove!)
  • 1 28oz Can Whole Tomatoes
  • 2 Tbls Dried Italian Herbs…Fresh is best…Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary
  • 1 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • ¼ inch Slice of Pancetta-Chopped into fine cubes
  • 1 Medium Onion roughly chopped, but uniformed (Size of Onion Chunks is personal)
  • ½ Can or ½ tube of Tomato paste
  • 1 Lb of bulk Sweet Italian Sausage (if you want it spicier, replace with Hot Sausage)…Remove Casing if you can only purchase in Link form.
  • ½ Cup of water or wine if you prefer (I couldn’t afford the wine)
  • Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (Please get the good stuff!)
  • S & P to taste

Prep Ahead: Take can of whole tomatoes and run through your food mill in a bowl until it looks like tomato soup. If you are using Dried Herbs, add to the tomato puree and put to the side.

Start with a deep hot skillet, add olive oil and pancetta. Cook pancetta until crispy and remove to the side. Add garlic onions and sausage over medium heat and cook until sausage is browned. Once Sausage is cooked, add the crispy pancetta, tomato puree and bring to a low boil. Add tomato paste and wine and mix in thoroughly. If you are using fresh herbs, go ahead and add those. Stir until sauce has thickened and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Don’t forget S & P to taste.

For the homemade Pasta-experts (About 1.5-2 lbs – Will feed 4-6 people)

Now I should let you all know that traditional Tagliatelle in the Italian world purely Egg, Flour and Salt, but I seem to have pasta making issues with that blend. So I go with my old standby which includes semolina and from my eye and preference Extra Virgin Olive Oil and depending on the weather in my apartment, a little bit of water if necessary.
  • 2 C AP Flour or Superfine 00 Italian flour
  • 1 C Semolina Flour
  • 1 ½ Tsp Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
  • 4 Large Eggs (Room Temp)
  • 1Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • ¼ tsp or more of water if necessary

After Pasta is cooked, add to skillet of sauce and cook for another minute or 2. Plate and put freshly grated or thinly sliced parmesan cheese (use a vegetable peeler to get those fine slices). A little more fresh pepper and you are set to go! Enjoy everyone!

2 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

The recipe sounds good. You probably got sick because now you're exposed to more germs!

♥ Kathy said...

That looks really good!