Friday, March 26, 2010

Chocolat Bouchee-It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Brownie

Ok, I realize I might get some flak for doing another brownie recipe, but this recipe is what I originally wanted to make, but thought I had lost it forever. Lucky for me, when I was searching for chocolate pudding recipes in my cookbook library, the recipe fell out of my Joy of Cooking book. I couldn’t believe that I actually saved it and found it several years later.  So of course, I needed to make this!

This is definitely not your Grandmother’s recipe or even your Mother’s for that matter. It’s so rich and decadent, that just one bite is enough to give you that orgasmic feeling, like when you eat a really good dark chocolate bar. I guarantee you will have to give a sex ed class before serving this to your adult friends.

This recipe is originally from B&B Cognac Liqueur.  It originally was part of an ad campaign in most magazines and was posted on Epicurious back in the day, but the recipe is not to be found on either sites as of this post. Today I have used Grand Marnier, but I also think that Crème de Menthe, Chambord and any coffee liqueur would also be fantastic as well as the original B&B Cognac Liqueur. I encourage all of you to use other liqueurs or flavorings, like almond extract or even creating an extract like saffron or curry could work (for those who cannot use liquor).

And YES...I ate one and couldn't finish it, but I did give the rest away to my neighbors and bodega folks. :)  It's all about proper moderation!

Chocolat Bouchee
  • 3 ½ Tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1 ¼ C AP Flour
  • ¼ Tsp Salt
  • ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
  • 10 Tbsp Butter (room temp)
  • 3 Tbsp (1 ½ oz) Corn Oil (I substituted Canola Oil)
  • 5 oz Unsweetened Chocolate-Chopped or in Chip form
  • 2 C + 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar (Packed) or you can use “Brownulated ®” LB Sugar
  • 3 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk (room temp)
  • 6 Tbsp (3 oz) Grand Marnier or other Liqueur of your choice 
Butter and flour a 9”or 10” square pan. Sift together cocoa, flour, salt and cinnamon. Melt butter, Corn Oil (Canola Oil) and unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler. Place melted chocolate mixture in a mixing bowl. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and beat well. Add eggs slowly. Add Liqueur. Slowly add dry ingredients, mixing until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 Degrees for 20-30 minutes.

**Note: I don’t have a 9” or 10” square pan, so I use a 7”x11” pyrex. If this is all you have as well, the total cooking time is 27-30 minutes depending on your oven.

Take out of oven and cool for at least 30 minutes. Carefully run a knife on the sides of the pan and remove the whole cake onto a cooling rack to cool for another 30 minutes and cut to desired sizes.

For a 7”x11”, I was able to cut 12 approx 2.5”x2.5” decent size pieces, but because this treat is so rich, I would recommend cutting them even smaller.

Chocolate Glaze
  • 9 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate-Chopped or in Chip Form
  • 6 oz (approx ¾ cup) Corn Oil (I substituted Canola Oil)
  • ½ oz (1 Tbsp) Grand Marnier or other Liqueur of your choice 
Melt chocolate, corn oil and liqueur over a double boiler.

Take cut pieces of brownies and place over a cake rack with a pan or parchment paper underneath to catch drippings.

Pour warm glaze to coat each brownie piece.

Chill until glaze sets and serve or you can choose to serve right away, just be aware that chocolate will be dripping down your arm and on the floor!

2 comments:

SweetPeaSurry said...

You know ... I'm not normally a fan of chocolate, but damn that does look scrumptious!

♥ Kathy said...

I could totally handle it dripping down my arm and on the floor! And I laughed so hard at the sex ed class :D