Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm a Beautiful American Mutt and so is everyone else in the USA

I always knew my sister and I were heretically mutts and possibly nuts ( ;) ).  We do have strong lineages of viking in our blood from Sweden and Denmark.  We are also very English in our family history. We both have the privilege of being decedents of Italy and Lithuania origins as well.

Our English history is the most documented in my family, as we are related in someway to the founders (Roger Smith) of Rhode Island. Not necessarily related by blood, but by efforts and partnerships, but I do not know the relationships fully.

I was told, but sources are not exactly confirmed, because of our English origins and ties to Rhode Island, my sister and I have the opportunity to be a part of the Daughters of the Revolution, but I would say "no way" anyway because why would I want to be a part of a group that is so harsh in ideas and believe they are better than others? This group has acted as if they are the true upper echelon-they should call themselves the first Reich if you ask me. (if I am wrong about the DotR, then my apologies, but as I understand, it's a very restricted club of American Women)

I've also been told that my Swedish lineage goes back to Royalty...This I've got to see!  Even so, it doesn't mean all that much, since I would never sit on a throne in my lifetime or ever get near it. ;)

The biggest memory and values taught in my childhood were mostly about being of Italian descent, when I analyzed the most recent generations of my family, the most prominent and dominant that I can conclude are English, Swedish and Lithuanian. Unfortunately Italian and Denmark are last.

I figured it this way--From the shortest line: 
  • Mom=Sweden, English
    • Nana=Sweden
      • Great Nana and Grandpa=From Old Country-Sweden
    • Grandpa=England
      • Parents=England
  • Dad=Denmark, Lithuania,Italy
    • Nana=Lithuania
      • Nona=From Old Country-Lithuania
    • Grandpa=Denmark,Italy
      • Assume Grandma-Italy
      • Assume Grandpa-Denmark
I grew up believing Italian and am no matter what, proud of being Italian no matter how small my DNA proves. I've been told my family Italian line goes back to L’Aquila. So, even though my Italian Blood is small , it can be traced somewhere to the old country.  However, I am also just as proud as my other blood lines.  It just so happened that Italian was at the forefront in my upbringing.

I love all my heritages.  A little goes a long way when it comes to food. Italian is my favorite cuisine and libations and because of that, I am a true Italian in my heart.  I have also recently learned more about the Swedish side of food, which I was also exposed to as a child, like herring, smorgashborg etc...My hopes are to bring both cuisines to everyone who reads this blog.

Food for Thought:  I do want to say that I am AMERICAN all the way.  A good friend of mine reminded me that no matter your lineage, if you were born in America, your are American.  Just as if I were born in Italy, I would be Italian.  Just beacuse maybe your mother or father were from another country, does not mean your are that true origin, you are now a mix.  That is a fact I cannot and will not argue.  So for anyone out there "fighting" for their country of origin rights...Remember, where you are BORN is what you ultimately are and will always be.  Your lineage is important, but it is not what makes you a whole person.  It only makes you a part of your family history of origin.  You are the start of a new history with a new origin on top of your mom and pop's origins and so on.  So make your life special and move forward while respecting your past lineages.

I am fortunate I have many backgrounds, as I was brought up to love food from many cultures outside my own.  I found in my life that cooking respects the past and continues some form of legacy.  I am a mutt, so I feel lucky that I am able to cook many recipes that respect my family history and my family present.

Be proud of who you are and where you are and COOK ON!

1 comment:

♥ Kathy said...

Awesome post! I really enjoyed that :)