Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cool your Cucumbers! Will ya?

Hi folks, sorry for the long delay in posting a recipe. Been kinda busy these days and like in my previous post, the foods I’ve been preparing and/or eating haven’t been all that exciting to write about.

As much as I love to cook, I still can’t figure out how all the chefs in the world can cook in such a hot environment through the summer months. Granted, you do lose a lot of weight, as it’s like being in a sauna somewhat, but try being in a sauna for eight or more hours straight. I know I can’t do it, that’s one reason I never went into the culinary arts profession.

With the real summer officially on the way soon (June 21st) and with more and more Hot and Humid days to come, cooking hot meals in the kitchen are just too much to take (FYI A Science Fact: After the Summer Solstace the Light loses 1 Minute a Day until the Winter Solstace, then the 1 Minute is gained again until the Summer begins again!). Eating hot meals in the summer months has somewhat always been a bit unappealing appetite wise for me and I am always looking to expand my main dish repertoire to cool and refreshing dishes that minimize the usage of heat.

I love using a grill, but I’m in an Apartment with no back yard to place a grill. All I’ve got is a grill/griddle to place on my stove top and even that generates a lot of heat, even with the AC on in my kitchen! If I can’t stand the heat, should that really mean I should get out of the kitchen? I think not and neither should you!

The other day I had been talking to one of my recruiters whom I gave my blog address to view my recipes. Turns out we had a lot in common when it comes to certain foods. She had checked out the Chilled Tomato and Avocado Soup and then we started discussing Russian foods, as she was from the Ukraine. She mentioned she had a few recipes for me, but I couldn’t wait and started looking for a Chilled Cucumber Soup recipe we had discussed, on my own.

So, my cold cucumber soup craving lasted for several days until I couldn’t stand it anymore…I found several recipes and like I usually do, take bits and pieces and modify. I can’t remember where I actually got this recipe from so sorry if I don’t provide an original link, but here is my modified version.

Please note this is not a “Dairy Free” recipe, but it IS a No Cook, No Bake recipe. However, you can substitute certain ingredients, which I will mention in the Ingredient list.
Chilled Cucumber & Dill Soup
Makes approximately 4 servings
Special Equipment: Either a large Blender or Food Processor.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tsp Fresh Dill (You can use ½ Tsp dried if that’s all you have)
    • Note: You can switch the Dill out for other Herbs such as: Mint, Tarragon, or even Lemon Thyme for a very distinct flavor. If using fresh herbs, I opt for double the dry measurements.
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice (One Medium Fresh Lemon)
  • 1/2 Tsp celery salt (can use Sea Salt, but the celery salt provides a distinctive flavor element Salt cannot)
  • 1/4 Tsp pepper or try white pepper only
  • 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
  • 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
    • Note: I used Kirby Cucumbers as they are my favorite. I used a total of 9 Kirby’s, reserving 1 Peeled but not seeded for adding a chunky element to the soup
  • ¾ or 1 Cup of sour cream or plain yogurt
To Prepare is extremely simple…
  1. Add all ingredients in the order listed except for the Sour Cream/Yogurt to your Blender or Food Processor.
  2. Pulse the ingredients until fully puréed. Once puréed, add sour cream/yogurt and pulse until combined.
  3. Place soup mixture in a glass or plastic bowl (Metal bowls are not good storage for this type of soup) in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours (24 would be even better-especially if using dried herbs) until well chilled. BTW: This soup can last for at least 4 days in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend freezing this.
  4. Serve with a sprig of the Herb of choice and I would even go as far as drizzling a fragrant Olive Oil if that fancies you.
Enjoy and eat Cool!

No comments: