Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Too hot to cook in the kitchen?

Well, this blog may be off topic, but recently for us NYC folks, the Washington Post (can’t site the exact article, I don’t have a subscription and heard it on the news) recommends trying to ban air conditioners all together. I say to the WP writer, are you really listening and speaking up for the general public to even propose this issue? Are you not taking your proper meds or are you on LSD? How much of a weed whacker are you? Could you at least find alternative solutions to the actual issue and recommend those ideas?

The environment is important, but if you are a person like I am, AC and/or Cool livable air is important to your health and even sanity (I’ve heard way too many horror stories of people in hot weather literally go crazy and kill people). I do believe in Eco Friendly Options and I have one that will act as an AC but is not…Simple suggestions like mine can change the world a little more at a time…

I personally made sure my recent AC Purchase was environmentally conscience and if I can afford it in the future, will replace my bedroom AC with the same expectations as my new appliance.

Look, there is a simple way to advocate folks all over the country to minimize their use of air conditioners. Try changing to a “De-Humidifier”! Now, one of my AC’s has a De-Humidifier setting and on crazy hot and humid days, I switch from AC to the De-Humidifier setting and I keep just as cool as if I had the AC setting. Luckily, if I do choose the AC setting it is also environmentally friendly by not spewing out all those crazy CFCs and as much energy as my old window unit. Also, changing to the De-Humidifier setting, my energy usage drops from 1400kw(AC) to 300kw(DH) and on the Fan is about 200kw. It’s a huge difference when it comes down to your electric bill!

Folks, it is about simple physics here…If you de-humidify, you remove the hot and wet air in your home or apt, which ultimately makes your life easier with cool dry air. Most de-humidifiers spew out cold air while sucking in the hot wet air, so it almost acts like an AC, but on a lower setting. AC settings don’t care which air and can still pump in humidity, even with central air.

So, for those who seem to not be able to live without AC, I challenge those to try a De-Humidifier through the summer months. I’m not saying every hot day should be AC free, but on those really humid days that the weather service announces that humidity is high, try it out. I guarantee it will work. The overall Temp may still be high, but it’s dry and more comfortable than if wetness is in the air. 80 and Humid can feel like 90-95 degrees. 80 and Dry, feels like 80 and Dry.

Look, Dry heat is hot and AC is great for Dry Heat, but you have to be in the desert for that. But if you live off the coast where humidity is really the heat culprit, try out my advice. Save the environment and your energy bill by either changing your AC settings to De-Humidify, if available or purchase a De-Humidifier for your home/apt and use in place of the AC. It WILL save you money overall on your electric bill and you probably won’t be a part or cause of the overall brownouts in your neighborhood.

Though, the real important factor is that you eventually buy an AC that is ultimately environmentally friendly…Less CFCs and Lead Free, which I was lucky enough to purchase about a year ago…and I feel better that when I do put the AC on, I am not F’ing up the rest of our world.

I am not going to sell you on a particular product/brand, but if you are eco conscience, then make sure your AC is: ECO-FRIENDLY CFC free GREEN R-410A refrigerant Lead free RoHS compliant components and make sure it has a de-humidifier option as well as a timer.

There have been many recent articles that the “energy star” logo is not all that energy efficient and it really is important you do your homework regardless of this most marketed brand name of energy efficiency, which has been recently proven, does not follow through the way it should be doing.

-Have a Seat (and hopefully listen)

No comments: