Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How Stale are your Carbs?

Ever have a loaf of bread go bad on you or stale before its time? Well I have, on way too many occasions. As a virgin bread maker and shopper/taster of great artisan breads and a single gal, I can’t eat all the bread I make or even buy.

So what do I do with my left over bread aside from giving it away? Well, I hate to admit, the day after Earth Day, I don’t always recycle what I should when it comes to food. My current circumstances definitely do not call for personal compost, as my food waste is very minimal and I have no room to benefit from it, being in a small apt and very little sun to grow any plants. I am trying very hard to change that, but need to figure out in what places in my local area will accept my food waste for recyclable reasons.

However, I am finding alternatives to not waste my food as I used to do, since I am still unemployed and need to maximize everything I buy and cook/bake. Being in the situation that I am in has opened my eyes on many issues; I had been throwing away literally, so much more than just food.

Although, I‘ve had a love of cooking for years, I forgot what it truly meant to cook and save at the same time. Even though I knew the foods I cooked, I could transform those meals into another amazing meal, I would just throw it all away without thinking. Now that I am in a situation, where I cannot afford to throw anything away unless it is rancid, I have learned that I should have been following the no waste theory all along.

I am angry with myself on how much food I have wasted over past years and I am making the oath to never do it again, even when I get a job that takes me away from home. My problem currently, is that I am cooking for a single person and not a family that I am used to providing for. When I cook, I do think about what I can store in the freezer for myself in the long term, but cooking on a singular level is a bit hard, especially when going to the grocery store.

One of the major foods I have been horrible about is throwing away bread. I throw more bread away, even though I make it homemade now, than I should. I’m not in a situation where I should feed the birds with my bread extras; otherwise I will help explode the pigeon population in NYC. So, what should I do with all my extra bread? Well, as in my other bread posts, I have mentioned that you should and “I” should make bread crumbs and/or Croutons.

So, I concocted some amazing croutons from the bread I made a few weeks back: Sour Dough Trip (Up?)...

For seasoned cooks/chefs, you know the drill but for those who may seem to be a bit intimidated by making homemade croutons; you can set your fears behind you! Homemade croutons are nothing but left over 2-3 or maybe even more day old bread. Yes, even the balloon brand or other brands will work.

Just take your stale or close to moldy bread and cut it cubes, the cube size will depend on the type of bread you are using. Honestly, buying grocery pre-made bread should be used more for bread crumbs, but croutons will be just as tasty. If you only have a few slices initially, cut into cubes and immediately freeze and continue to save and cut the bread until you have enough for a full salad meal.
So, the “Crouton” recipe…This can be whatever you want, but here’s a good starter recipe (Be aware the measurements are to my taste and approximate):

Crouton Ingredients:
  • Leftover Bread-Cubed
  • 2 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil-per 2 Cups of Bread Cubes
  • 1-2 Tbls Italian Dried Herbs or other Dried Herb Spice Mix - per 2 Cups of Bread Cubes
  • 2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced Finely- per 2 Cups of Bread Cubes
  • 3-5 Tbls Grated Parmesan or Grana Padano Cheese-per 2 Cups of Bread Cubes 
Preheat Oven to about 350 Degrees:
  1. In a large bowl, add all ingredients above and mix well.
  2. Take your cubes of bread (thaw fully if previously frozen) and add to Bowl of Ingredients above.
  3. Mix Gently, hands are best and make sure all the bread cubes are fully coated.
  4. Take a Cookie Sheet pan and line with parchment paper or tin foil (for easier clean up, but not required)
  5. Place all bread cubes on cookie sheet pan, be sure to spread evenly.
  6. Place in oven for about 20-30 minutes. You want to make sure all moisture from the bread has evaporated.
  7. Let cool and serve or place in a freezer bag and store for about 3-5 months

1 comment:

♥ Kathy said...

Toasting helps stale sliced bread. I make croutons too and bread pudding. Occasionally I feed the birds with it :) As for other leftovers, that is one meal a week for us. I can't bear to waste food!