Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ravioli That Brings the Forest to You

Years ago, I had been given the opportunity by my mother and step father to cook a few appetizers for some special occasion. I cannot remember exactly which occasion it was, but as someone who was trying to find new and updated recipes, I in my controlling enthusiasm, had to dictate what I would prepare.

Now, at the time my parents gave me this opportunity, their budget was fairly reasonable and tolerant of my quest to attempt new recipes and expand my culinary talents. All recipes had to be within a reason, but I will say, if it weren’t for my family’s appreciation and support towards my cooking hobby, I would not have come up with this ravioli recipe. Keep in mind, I also had to figure in a vegetarian dish due to my sister’s and other guest’s needs.

The original recipe was really something I found in one of the major cooking magazines, can’t remember which one, and was a recipe for a Phyllo Dough appetizer that was a plethora of Wild Mushrooms, Herbs and Goat Cheese. When I made the Phyllo Dough recipe, it was so awesome. I could not believe how good it was. But, as I loved this recipe, the filling was really the star for me, although the Phyllo was such an amazing compliment. Because I had such a craze for the filling, I thought it would be a great filling or ravioli.

So, I decided one day to prepare the filling as per the Phyllo Dough recipe and use it as a filling for my homemade ravioli. Not only did this work with the pasta, it was such an amazing taste in Ravioli, I had never seen or tasted from any Nuevo restaurants I have eaten at. To this day, after about 15 years later, I still have not seen a ravioli recipe like I am about to post. I have also not seen this recipe in print, specifically for ravioli or even any other recipe other than what I discovered years ago with the Phyllo Dough.

So any of you reading this, this is truly a new recipe that I am aware of. I consider this one of my major accomplishments of recipes of my own doing and I hope that all of you will enjoy this treat! What you should all take away from this recipe and post is this is really about the filling. Think about other recipes you have made which call for a “filling”. Experiment and consider standard Filling recipes as just a Filling and try it with other recipes that call for “Fillings” to go along with other cooking methods.

A few things I must state about the Ravioli Recipe:

The best way to serve is with a drizzle of REAL Black or White truffle Oil and S & P and a light sprinkle of Parm Cheese Only. If you can afford it, shavings of REAL White or Black Truffles along with its complimentary oil is best. Top with a chiffonade of fresh Sage.

However, if you on the cheap, a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, S & P and a light sprinkle of Parm Cheese will be just as tasty (which is on my budget these days). Top with a chiffonade of fresh Sage.


Pasta Recipe 2lbs (or use your personal one).
Will make about 34-35 Large Ravioli (about 2x2).

I will not go into methods of making the pasta. You can attempt 2 ways… By making a flour well and mixing all the wet ingredients by hand or use a Food Processor which will cut your kneading time in half.
  • 2 C AP Flour
  • 1 C Semolina Flour
  • 1 ½ Tsp Sea Salt
  • 4 Large Eggs (Room Temp)
  • 1Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
Mushroom Filling 2-4 Lbs of Pasta (can be prepared 1 day ahead)
  • 8 oz White Button Mushrooms-Chopped/Diced
  • 3.5 oz Shitake Mushrooms-Chopped/Diced
  • 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms or 3-4 medium Portabella Caps-Chopped/Diced
  • 3.5 oz: Oyster Mushrooms-Chopped/Diced
  • 1 Small Onion-Chopped/Diced
  • 3 Large Garlic Cloves-Chopped/Diced
  • 2-3 Tbls Fresh Rosemary-Chopped
  • 2-3 Tbls Fresh Oregano-Chopped
  • 2-3 Tbls Fresh Sage-Chopped
  • 2-3 Tbls Fresh Thyme-Chopped
  • 2-4oz Packages of Plain Goat Cheese At room Temperature
  • ½ C Dry White Wine
  • 2-3 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • S & P to Taste 
In a large skillet on medium heat add Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onion and garlic and sauté until onions are slightly translucent.

Add all mushrooms to skillet and continue to sauté until mushrooms start to sweat a little. Add White wine, S & P to taste and cook mushrooms until all liquid is gone.

Transfer mushroom mixture to a mixing bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes. Then add goat cheese and herbs and mix until well incorporated.

Chill mixture for 3-4 hours or overnight for filling to set.

Once the mixture is chilled, prepare your pasta dough in single sheets and add about 1 ½ Tbls of mixture onto dough and cover with a second pasta sheet or if the pasta sheet is wide enough, fold over, sealing with egg wash.

The ravioli can be frozen for later use or you can cook it right away.

2 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I bet that's really good. I'm always so proud when I come up with something original and I know you are too :)

SweetPeaSurry said...

I'm gonna try this filling, I don't know that I can do the dough, I'm not much on making my own pasta or breads or anything. I'm sure I can find something to 'fill' though. :)