Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Joking the Joker?

Ever been stupid enough to fall for the loose salt cap and more salt than you bargained for ends up all over your food? Well, salt didn't exactly happen in my most recent case, but what makes it worse is that not only was I the sucker of this cruel act, I was the perpetrator as well and that's what makes this doubly stupid.

I had recently realized after a full day of cooking confections, I hadn't eaten a thing for myself and suddenly found myself hungry for a quick late night meal before I retired for the evening. My usual idea of quick eats is a bowl of pasta with a quick parm cheese/alfredo sauce or just olive oil, garlic and herbs.

So I got my pasta cooking, start grating some parm cheese, peel a few cloves of garlic and in this case I had no fresh herbs so I decided I would use some dry Italian herb mix I had in my pantry.

When it came time to make my quick alfredo, I do what I always do...Add some milk in a sauce pan, use my beloved microplane and grate in the garlic, add freshly grated parm cheese, add salt and pepper to taste and my herbs. However this time when I went to add my herbs, I opened the jar, without realizing I had removed the "sprinkle" cap from previous use, and with 2 rapid shakes my sauce was drowning with dry herbs. So you can imagine my reaction...nothing but un flavorful comments spewed from my mouth.

So, I scooped out as much herbs as I could to try and save the sauce. What resulted from a classic joke and cooking blunder was a pretty tasty meal. The joke was still on me, as there were still more herbs that over powered everything, but I see it as, a lesson learned...NEVER PERMANENTLY REMOVE those Sprinkle caps from your jars of Herbs and Spices.

1 comment:

SweetPeaSurry said...

Hah ... since I've cut adding any salt to anything ... for me ... the more herbs and spices the bettah! It's good that you salvaged it though. I would have just probably added more of the parm and milk though.

Talk atcha soon!! XOXO