Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tomato Soup and Processed Sin

I will admit that even though I consider myself a food snob of sorts, I do love a classic American grilled processed cheese sandwich with tomato soup, especially during these winter months. Now, you might think this is about the classic canned Tomato soup and all American Grilled Cheese, but you are half wrong.

I did buy a can of that classic canned Tomato soup a few weeks back and found it very strange tasting. As a kid I loved this soup (but what kid doesn't?). After not having that canned soup for years and years and then buying it, because I was lazy, a huge mistake and a waste of my taste buds and time. I ended up adding homemade croutons, parmesan cheese and other herbs just to make the soup bearable and even that didn't make it very edible. So, for now on, Tomato soup will be all homemade for me.

Back to the sandies...In this case it's totally all American born or it ain't the processed sin we all but hate to admit we love to crave. You can't argue the sinful taste of the buttery, oozing American Grilled Processed Cheese. I'm a bit of a purist with this processed cheese sandwich. When I do make it, I use soft white bread (yeah-the balloon brand) and room temp butter and in a fry pan, not a grill and not a waste of space Panini maker. Sometimes I have a hankering to add some sliced tomato and/or add bacon. Spicy or just yellow mustard on top makes it the Bomb!

Don't get me wrong...a Caprese, Fontina w/Arugula, Munster w/Caramelized Onion (my French Onion Soup Sandy), Goat Cheese w/Chive, Tarragon and a drizzle of Honey and other "couture" grilled cheese sandwiches are just mouth watering heaven and higher on my list of amazing eats, cooked on a stove top grill or grill pan. Give me any good artisan melting cheese, herbs, crusty bread, olive oil and garlic and I can't even describe the pleasure I get, even just thinking about making and eating it.

Even though the canned soup was a waste of my time, it should also be yours too. Homemade is the better, tastier, easy and most economical to make believe it or not. I'll do my best here to list the Soup Ingredients and Instructions as my cooking...not baking...is a measured by eye, taste and whatever I have in the pantry. This will make approximately 12 Servings. It's a lot of soup! 
 
Winter time is hard to find good ripe plum tomatoes, so I've gone with canned tomatoes that I usually use for pasta sauce. Don't worry, at first the soup may tast a little tinny from the canned tomatoes for the first taste test, but after it simmers for a bit, all flavors will combine and the tinny flavor will go away.

Tomato Soup
Special equipment: Either a Blender or Handheld Blender or a Food Processor


  • 2-28oz cans of Whole Plum Tomatoes

  • 1-15oz can of fire roasted Chopped Tomatoes with ancho chili pepper

    • (if you cannot find this item, 1-15oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes and 1 Roasted Red Pepper can be substituted)

  • 3 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth-Approx
  • 4 Cloves Garlic-Chopped Finely
  • 2 Medium Shallots-Chopped Finely
    • (1 half of Medium Onion can be substituted)
  • 3 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil-Approx
  • 1 Tbls Dried Oregano or Italian Herb Mix-Approx
  • 1 Tbls Fresh Rosemary-Chopped-Approx
  • 1 Half Pint Heavy Cream or Half and Half
  • 1/2 Lemon
  • S/P to Taste
-In a large pot (Pre-Heated) on medium heat add Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Shallots and sweat (about 1-2 min), then add garlic to sweat (another 1-2 Min).
-Add Rosemary and Dried Herbs-A couple of quick stirs to incorporate. Add Tomatoes with their juice and bring to a simmer. At this point-take the mixture and puree. If you like it a bit chunky, make sure you reserve some of the tomato mixture.
-Add back to pot (on medium heat) and add Broth, stir and bring to a simmer again for about 15 minutes. 
-Add S/P to taste with a squeeze of lemon juice and stir for another minute or 2. Then add Heavy Cream and stir while bringing the soup back up to a simmer. DONE!
-Serve with your Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandy or just toasted garlic bread
-Add a dollop of Sour Cream or just drizzle with some olive oil.

1 comment:

SweetPeaSurry said...

Ahhh for the longest time ... I've been eating the canned campbells tomato soup for ages, however, my local supermarket is now making a supreme tomato bisque that I've been using instead when I get that childlike craving!!! Mmm Mmm GOOD!!!