Saturday, February 6, 2010

Movies and Meat

I just finished watching the HBO Special Temple Grandin Starring Claire Daines. I’ve known about Temple Grandin for many years now, thanks to a PBS special I had seen. I think she has brought amazing insight to the meat industry and I hope that she will continue to better our national treatment of cattle and hopefully other animals we consume as a nation. BTW-Claire Daines was an amazing portrayal. Kudos to HBO for this personal documentary.

There have been plenty of movies these days and over the years about the food we eat, especially meat. I honestly believe we should listen to the premise of these movies and move forward as a better human race that does care about what it eats.

I do believe that we as a nation have no idea what it means to be with nature. We as a human race, like the matrix, are a virus ready to destroy anything in our way for survival. We lose all perspective of what Nature really is and only a few have interest in sustaining what we should covet.

I am not and will never proclaim myself as a vegetarian, but as I have learned over my years, eating any kind of meat has to come with a price of conscience. There are places in this world that do respect what they eat and what bothers me as a meat eater in the U.S. is that we forget what it means to eat and the respect that animal deserves while we eat it.

The U.S. is such a greedy, unconscionable nation. We expect with all our hard work we deserve anything and everything, no matter how it’s obtained. We claim to be the major morality and political conscience, but we are a nation of fools and fat protagonists. We preach, but don’t practice because we are lazy jerks. We think we deserve respect just because we are a nation that pretends to be of fair justice.

When it comes to the meat eating population, we tend to forget that what we are eating is real, alive and has a purpose in our eco system other than just our stomachs. By Nature, humans are carnivores, but it should not mean that we treat those we eat with disrespect.

Think about the fact that Humans are Carnivores. That would mean in any dire situation we could potentially eat each other. Would you just drown or purposely slain someone without feeling and respect just to have a meal at your expense? That is the philosophical question of the day.

I am tired and sad that I live in a nation that has no heart. That is willing to treat this world like crap. I am not an exception to this either, as I am also responsible for being lazy and not respecting my environment. But, I am willing and want to change.

Although Temple Grandin is still with the major beef industries that are more “industrial” and still do not treat animals with the respect they deserve, we cannot fault her. She has improved this industry to at least be somewhat humane. Although it still could be better, Temple has made more of an impact than the rest of us could and should on the massive beef and meat industry.

Now I truly understand the cost factor in all of this, as I am poor and can’t afford more humanely driven meat in my current circumstances. So, to me what that means is that I will only buy good meat (grass fed and antibiotic free) when I can afford it. That means less meat for me in the long run, but also better for my health and the environment overall.

Let us remember, not only are humans carnivores, but we are ultimately omnivores, which means we also eat greens…vegetables…fish etc…Humans are not exclusive and we are not really supposed to be a part of the overall eco system mother nature intended. Humans are creating havoc among mother earth and that needs to change immediately.

If we as humans were intended to be a part of the eco system, then let us be worthy of it, instead of being a race that destroys everything in its path.  We should not be the cause of the Eco System demise but a part of the revision of it.

For those who can’t forgo meat like I can, at least try to buy locally and buy from a local butcher instead of a supermarket. Buying meat from a supermarket is not a good thing and promotes more mass slaughter and disrespect of the animals you are eating.

Thank you!

1 comment:

SweetPeaSurry said...

Excellent points throughout. I've been cutting way back on my meat intake, as I recently read some horrific stories about slaughterhouses. Really disgusting stuff! And ... my diet (which is working wonders btw) doesn't allow much meat anyway. I would definately like to see our slaughterhouses be saddled with more humane operational requirements though. Some of the stuff that happens in the name of production is disgusting!