Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sweet Comforts and the Smells of Winter

It’s Snowy, cold and windy in NYC and what a great day to stay in and bake for comfort and some sweetness. There is nothing like homemade hot cocoa and the aroma of cinnamon permeating throughout the house.

I do love when I stink up the entire apt building with wonder aromas of fresh baked bread, sweet & savory spices, and cakes and of course when I cook with garlic! Ahhh, the smell of something cooking that hits all senses in an eye rolling; mouthwatering temptation is just delicious heaven. No fishy smell here!

I’m sure the neighbors in my building are wondering what I am baking today and if any of them are home, I will knock on their door, show some neighborly love and offer them my sweet of the week.

About a year ago, when I was laid off from a company I gave over 9 years of my life to, I decided, since I had to cut back on costs to use some of my Credit Card points and get me a bread maker. It was one of the best decisions I made! Not only do I not buy bread from the store anymore, I am also making healthier breads with no crazy chemicals in them. I do save a lot of money believe it or not. It also got me cooking again and wanting to branch out a bit more in my cooking capabilities.

But today is not about bread, it’s about Cinnamon Rolls/Buns using my bread machine! You never forget the smell and taste of a Cinnamon Roll/Bun even if the years have passed since the last gooey bite. I’ll be honest, I don’t usually eat these that often, actually I think the last time I had one was about 8 or more years ago. I have heard that there is a chain out there, in which these lovely breakfast/brunch treats are the main attraction and people go crazy for them (I personally have never had one from this chain and never will).

So, since I am using my bread machine and the recipe that came with it, all instructions are machine only (I don’t feel like translating out of machine today). But if you are a savvy baker, then you know how to make the dough outside of the machine (It’s really not that hard). I’ve made some personal adjustments to this recipe, specifically to the filling and topping. This will yield approx 24 rolls/buns depending on how thick you cut them.
Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients: Makes2 1⁄2 pounds dough = 24 cinnamon swirl rolls
  • 2⁄3 cup Lowfat milk, warmed to 80°–90°F
  • 3 Eggs, large, at room temperature
  • 6 tbls Unsalted butter, cut in 1⁄2-inch pieces, at room temperature
  • 1⁄2 cup Granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 4 cups Bread or AP flour
  • 2⁄3 cup Cornstarch
  • 2 1⁄4 teaspoons Yeast, active dry, instant or bread machine
-Place the milk, eggs, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, salt, vanilla, flour, cornstarch, and yeast in the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle in the order listed. Place the bread pan in the Bread Maker. Select
Dough option. Select dough size. Press Start to mix, knead and rise. When cycle is completed remove dough and punch to deflate. For large and medium recipes, divide into 2 equal portions. Let rest 10 minutes.
-Roll the dough out into rectangles 12 inches wide and 1⁄2-inch thick. Brush each rectangle with melted butter to within one inch of one long side and to the ends of the other 3 sides, and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll as for a jelly roll, ending with the unbuttered side. Pinch along long side to seal.
-Cut with a serrated knife into 12 equal portions. Arrange in prepared pans, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise 35 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
-Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until puffed with golden tops, and hollow-sounding when tapped.
-Let cool 20 to 25 minutes before frosting. Spread or drizzle cream cheese frosting to taste.

Filling
  • 1⁄2 cup Brown sugar, packed
  • 1⁄4 cup Granulated sugar
  • 2 1⁄2 tbls Cinnamon
  • 1 tbls Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 6 tbls Butter, unsalted, melted –Reserve 2 Tbls for brushing Dough.
-Place the filling ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a whisk until well blended; reserve.
-Lightly coat 2 ten-inch round/2 nine-inch round/1 ten-inch round cake pan(s) with cooking spray and reserve.

Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 4 oz Cream cheese
  • 1⁄4 cup Unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 1 1⁄2 cups Powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon Milk
-Combine frosting ingredients and stir with a whisk until smooth (this may also be done in a food processor fitted with the metal “s” blade, or with a hand mixer).

3 comments:

SweetPeaSurry said...

I am not much into sweets anymore, I don't go for the cakes, cookies, buns, candy or chocolate ... however, those cini-buns look tantalizing!!!

I vote for Yummy!

♥ Kathy said...

Hi :) I'm visiting from my friend right there above me (SweetPeaSurry) lol I love cinnamon rolls AND cream cheese frosting....yum!! I'll come back soon to see what other good stuff you have here!

♥ Kathy said...

btw..I started following you. If you want to see my cookbook, it's HERE No pressure though :) Have a great night!!

ps. I can't wait to read the cheesecake post...one of my favs!!